Thursday, August 12, 2010

Recipe: Hazelnut French Toast Sticks



Today, I got home from work at 4:30 am (yes, you read right--4:30 in the morning). I figured I deserved a hearty meal, so I proceeded to cook some bacon, eggs, and rice for me and my husband before I crawled into bed. When I woke up, I decided I wanted something sweet and sinful to go with my cholesterol. Which led to...

Hazelnut French Toast Sticks

Ingredients
1 egg, beaten
About 1/2 cup milk
About 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 slices wheat bread (you can also use white bread)
Hazelnut spread (like Nutella)
Butter

1. Make the batter: In a bowl, mix egg, milk, and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. Spread hazelnut spread over one side of one slice of bread. Layer with other slice of bread, hazelnut side in to make a sandwich.
3. Slice crosswise into four equal "sticks."
4. Put butter in a pan over low heat.
5. Dip each stick into batter, place in pan.
6. Fry until lightly browned. Turn over to brown other side.

I ate it with honey, but it was a tad too sweet. I imagine maple syrup might be too sweet as well, so you might want to try powdered sugar.

2 comments:

Oh, so sweet of you to drop a line!:)