Thursday, December 22, 2011

Step Away from the iPad

What ever happened to good conversations over dinner? When eating out meant catching up with each other, reminiscing about the past, making new memories? Now, I see tables of people hunched over their gadgets, playing games, tweeting, BBM-ing away, paying no mind to the other people who are doing...the exact same thing.

I am guilty of checking my phone every now and then over dinner, but I think that paying more attention to your gadget than to the people you're with is just plain rude. It tells them that you'd rather be somewhere else. It tells them that games are more important than their company. It tells them that you are utterly lacking in the ability to carry a conversation.

It tells me that we need to start relearning how to communicate, the good old-fashioned way.

This Christmas, as we get together with our families and friends, may we remember to let go of our gadgets and focus on the people, right then and there.

4 comments:

  1. Amen! I'm close with one of my nieces, but every time we get together to catch-up, she whips her phone out every few minutes. I can't get her to understand how rude it is--that she and her friends doing that to each other non-stop doesn't make it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't have said it better myself! I love my iPhone, and I literally have everything on there, which causes me to look at it every now and again. Quite frequently, actually, but if I'm at dinner, meeting someone, etc., I PUT THE PHONE AWAY. Some people just don't understand that. How rude can they be? I've had that done to me before, and it really sucks. I'd never want anyone to think that checking my phone is more important than sitting down with them and just enjoying their company. Anyone who's THAT attached to their phone is really sad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually noticed that since mobile phones became a necessity. I on the other hand did not jump into the then fad? craze? of having a mobile phone (I had my first mobile phone on 2006) and even before that I noticed that when my friends (who already have mobile phones) and I get together, they would mind their phones more than the people they were with :( so sad...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I couldn't agree more! Seriously, if you're at the dinner table with your family, how hard is it to just put the phone away for awhile? I doubt that the world will come to an end if they decide to put off their Scrabble game for an hour. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Oh, so sweet of you to drop a line!:)