Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Books Books Books

So I've been meaning to post about the books I read after February, but, er, real life kept getting in the way. Allow me to take the tamad's way out and just list the books I've read since my last post:

Sabriel by Garth Nix
I was just browsing through my sister-in-law's bookshelves, and she highly recommended this (and the following books in the series). It's YA fantasy.

 From here

One Crazy Summer by Ines Bautista Yao
We featured Ines in our May issue, as one of the moms who pursued their passion after having children.

From here

Lirael by Garth Nix
The second book in the series.

From here

Abhorsen by Garth Nix
OK the series was pretty good but I didn't fall in love with it the way I did with A Song of Ice and Fire and Lord of the Rings. But I really wanted to know how it ended.

From here

Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink edited by David Remnick
I didn't finish this hefty book--had to return it to the library (the P200 fine I got for a late return one time really taught me a lesson!). It's a compilation of pieces published in the New Yorker over the years. I especially liked the ones written decades ago, and felt sad thinking that the Parisian restaurants mentioned probably aren't around anymore.
 
From here

The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir
I used to think Henry VIII was just a womanizer, but I learned that it was pretty much driven by his need to have a male heir. And P.S. The Tudors version of Henry VIII is quite inaccurate--he got morbidly obese at some point.

 From here

Trash by Andy Mulligan
The author doesn't say it, but this YA novel is actually set in Smokey Mountain. You can tell it's set in the Philippines because one of the characters is named Gardo.

From here

The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
I try to read this every year just to remind me of the power of positive thinking.

From here

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Yup, I do love YA books. This one has really creepy photos. In fact, my husband asked me to leave it face-down, because the cover freaks him out.

From here

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
Supposedly the book that the Hunger Games ripped off, but eh. Easy to read, although I felt like some things were lost in translation.

From here

And now I'm reading...

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (again)
Jane Austen: the only chick lit I read. I'm reading the Kindle version this time!

From here

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
A YA novel (surprise, surprise) that has gotten really good reviews, and has won a number of awards.

From here

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
I'm just about to start this one, but I'm hoping I'll be done by the end of the month.

 From here

Plus...a secret book that I'll blog about next time.:)

4 comments:

  1. I looove books! I want to read all of 'em. Uhm, maybe I like some more than the others... Will check our Kindle books stash if we already have copies...

    P.S.
    I showed my husband the creepy cover that you shared. He says he doesn't find it creepy but instead it's... homey! Oh well, I've got one peculiar child here. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did he notice that the child is levitating?:o I think vintage photos have an eerie quality about them. And ghost-like kids are pretty creepy.

      Delete
  2. Too many books for this to truly be the lazy way out, it was the only way. =)

    Henry is almost always too handsome and fit in movies and shows--and no one rides a horse with a gout ridden knee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, right? Remember the movie "Orphan"? He likes creepy things like that, but not gore... Haha

    ReplyDelete

Oh, so sweet of you to drop a line!:)